The surprises -
- The meeting was being "fastracked" and the Democrats objected.
- The Republicans must have known that this bill would have fiscal implications but part of the "fastracking" was justified by "it still had to go to Joint Finance"!
- It (AB 7) and here LRBs0093/2 had been substantially modified - 18 pages of LRB notes to explain what was being modified from current law and the original AB 7.
- It seemed that the Republicans did at times not know what they had drafted - Democrats were able to identify some difficulties (see JSOnline) - Clerk's office process and student (college and high school ID problems - security / safety / access).
- Democrats - This bill is going to make it much more difficult for many groups of people to vote (it discriminates, it is in effect a poll tax, it is administratively complex).
- Republicans - No it will not - we can solve every problem with mobile DOT office bus!
|Representative Tauchen (Chair)|
|Representative Bernier (Vice-Chair)|
Reps. Stone, Pridemore and Weininger
Outcome - Party line vote (with the bill being improved by Democrat's criticism - we can hope) - passed!
#GOP #Immoral WI 1848 Forward: #VoterID - AB7 Amendments - Unfinished advances